Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a series of the back of my father's head photos

that's right! my parents came to visit and watch me finish grad school. so naturally i took various photos of the back of my father's head.

these are from a collection called: my dad saw fish at the california academy of sciences.





being the aquarium expert that he is, the usual specimen weren't incredibly impressive.

until he caught a glimpse of these characters





speaking of fish, i was able to bring my parents along to my favorite sushi place, warakubune on church street.

here's a quick clip of what the boats look like -


i don't know who that guy at the end was, but he had my favorite order, the shrimp special roll. i actually am so obsessed with it that i keep an image of it on my phone whenever i feel blue, or hungry.



this is actually pretty cool. some genius was able to sneak a camera onto one of the boats for a ride around the bar. i really can't stop watching the people's varied reactions (and non reactions).



my father, ever the pioneer in experimentation, saw the various colors of my favorite roll and decided it'd be best if he ordered his "cooked" fish instead.

i was, however, "cunning" enough to convince him to try my second favorite roll - the special aspargus.



by "cunning" i of course don't mean "i had two glasses of sapporo light and became abrasive"

and yes, my mother is using a fork. free country.



my father's head at the bay bridge!



my father's head at pier 39 admiring the many sea lions (and hating the many sea lion smells)

and yes, that's the back of my head. it's a father/son thing.



see? it continues all the way to wine tasting over the golden gate in sonoma and napa. don't we look alike?





here's the back of my father's head at the very top of san francisco.



here's the backside of BOTH parents overlooking graffiti alley in the mission district

and of course i had to take them to delores park for an afternoon of wine and cheese, accompanied by this incredible view.



i'm not sure how much rest they got on this vacation, because i also sent them:
to the castro so they could see how clean my apartment is
to the ferry building for fancy foods and wines
to city hall for a political perspective
to hayes valley for high end boutique shopping
to golden gate park for a planetarium show, a rain-forest walk-through and animal exhibit
to the painted ladies for a victorian view
to lombard street for a nauseating drive
to the mission for some counter culture
to cox stadium for my graduation
through haight/ashbury for a contact high
to north beach (twice) for some seriously good italian food
to zeitgeist for hard rock, big benches, grilled everything and backyard beers



and here's a picture i secretly took that brought me back to my parents house. it was at our last stop on the wine tour and only hours before i said a tearful farewell. the reason it means so much is that it reminds me of a particular painting that has been at their house for as long as i can remember. i always thought of it as a very tranquil image and the fact that it came to life was the perfect conclusion to a fantastic trip. their visit was the ultimate highlight of my time in san francisco.

love and loyalty

No comments: