Thursday, September 11, 2008

a punishment

last night was pretty interesting. rather than finishing up my homework, i decided to go ahead and watch MANUFACTURING CONSENT: NOAM CHOMSKY AND THE MEDIA an old documentary that shows chomsky going into detail on his propaganda model. it was a wonderful film, don't get me wrong. i absolutely cannot stop reading about him and his theories. however, one probably shouldn't watch a film like this right before bed. i had some pretty rough dreams. on the plus side, i got to see some old, forgotten friends that i have been meaning to catch up with. worked out some differences, went for a drive, had some laughs. then it went to hell. i was trapped in an american torture chamber, chastised for questioning the media's underlying messages. apparently, one of my friends that i had these conversations with ratted me out. torture sucks.

as far as the program is concerned, next week i have to meet with my professor to discuss possible topics for my literary review. this is an intro course to graduate studies, but with only three semesters left, it's better if this review were relative to my thesis topic. this basically means that i really need to figure out what field interests me most. i do really like assessing the media's play in political communication and globalization, but i also like having a good night's rest...

below are clips of some of his most thought provoking lectures





love and loyalty

No comments: