Saturday, October 11, 2008

a pet shop

for those of you that are fortunate enough to be in the northeast, check out banksy's first official collection in new york city: "Village Pet Store and Charcoal Grill" on 89 Seventh Avenue South. upon first viewing, i thought this was a response to the criticism he received for having painted an elephant as part of his last exhibit in los angeles.


turns out, i was right. below is a quote from the elusive artist on his latest work and some photos and shots on what to expect from the pet store -

"New Yorkers don’t care about art, they care about pets. So I’m exhibiting them instead. I wanted to make art that questioned our relationship with animals and the ethics and sustainability of factory farming, but it ended up as chicken nuggets singing. I took all the money I made exploiting an animal in my last show and used it to fund a new show about the exploitation of animals. If its art and you can see it from the street, I guess it could still be considered street art" - Banksy















to all of my east coast readers, go have a laugh for me as i clearly cannot be there and let me know what you thought.

as for now, im off to clean my room to prepare for getting my new bed. new in the sense that it isn't the twin junior mattress on the floor ive been using. this bed is hardly "new," but it sure is better than what ive got going on here.

love and loyalty

1 comment:

dear williamsburg said...

I like pets I like pets and kittens and deffffinitely painted elephants. Looks like a hoot Michael good find. I've gotta run, but didn't want to neglect a response to your comment on my oh so silly blogorama. (you're probably the only person who stops by every once in a while to read) Study hard, make us proud, and talk to you soon.
lots of hugs and all my love!