Tuesday, October 28, 2008

a question

If I may ask, what exactly is this cartoonist trying to imply?



This was in the Montclarion's newspaper last week and it's apparently ruffling some feathers. My question is: why worry about something that lacks talent and logic?

I'm seeing this as an attempt to bring racism to the election. Sort of make racism a hot topic worthy of discussion or something. Thankfully, this election hasn't come to a biased towards African Americans. It has, however, started a serious smear campaign on the Muslim community, implying that it is unsafe to elect a man that is a Muslim (regardless of the fact that Obama is in no way a Muslim). The reinstated fear of Muslims isn't recognized in the cartoon, so what exactly is this cartoonist saying? And if these people were ignorant enough to use the n-word.. why exactly are they voting for him? Where is your logic? Even better question: Where is your talent?

I think if this cartoonist was attempting for shock value, congratulations, you're an asshole. However, it would've made more of a statement if it had actually made sense. This doesn't. Let's just disregard this and not even give it the credit it strives for. Freedom of speech is important to me, but I also would prefer my political cartoons to be relevant.

I posted that on the comment section, and as I am using capital letters and actually recognizing this cartoon, I'm merely using it as an example of the lack of talent that is emerging from college level cartoonists. I'm hoping that we will be able to contribute more sensible insight in the future. For now, let's simply turn the page until a real talent emerges with something more substantial to say.

Love and Loyalty

No comments: