Saturday, October 4, 2008

a really bad day

yesterday sucked. here's why:

1. i was curious about why i didn't receive any notice about registering to vote back in august so i called city hall. the receptionist told me that i had to come to the office to figure it out. when i got to the office, a different receptionist told me that i was totally registered and ill get the info on monday. waste of a trip.

2. i received a letter telling me that a package from my grandmother was waiting for me at the post office. this is no walk downtown. this a bit of a journey. so far that it is at bay bridge, at the end of the peninsula. when i get all the way down there, the receptionist tells me that it isn't here and it's probably still in transit. i asked if it would be getting here within an hour and he told me, "i wouldn't count on it." waste of a trip

3. i've been trying to figure out my doctor situation for months now, making calls to have information transferred to another hospital. well, after not receiving responses to my multiple voice mails, i finally gave it one more shot on this already terrific day. this receptionist got me heated. so much so that i had a full hour workout afterwards because she got me so worked up. i needed a refill on a prescription for a crohn's disease medication but she assured me that i wouldn't get it because i needed blood work. i told her i've been prescribed it for 8 years and that with or without blood work id be getting the medication.

the attitude erupted and she said, "YOU need to fill out a hippo form first, have it faxed back to us so we can send the information with a prescription to get your blood work so you can get an approval for the medicine."

i said, "fax?! i just moved to san francisco. I DONT EVEN HAVE A BED and you expect me to have a fax machine!?"

her response: "well that's YOUR problem. you should just get it faxed to your new hospital."

i said, "you've gotta be kidding me. i don't have a hospital until i fill out these forms!"

her response: "mm, well again that's YOUR problem. you're just gonna have to wait until thursday to get the form in the mail, mail it back to us, and wait to have the prescription...."

that's when i hung up. i was furious. no one in the eight years of service had ever been so rude and disrespectful at that hospital.

4. after all of this had gone through, the wasted trips to city hall and the post office and the mess with my health, i needed to vent my frustrations to some friends. unfortunately, both phone conversations were disconnected while i was retelling the story so i was talking to no one for a good ten minutes combined. then i'd have to retell the story as if i hadn't enjoyed telling it a few minutes earlier. awful awful awful.

5. i needed therapy. retail therapy. i finally tried to find some running shoes but i got off at the wrong train stop ... twice, because i was so frustrated. when i actually made it to the nike store, i had waited HALF AN HOUR in front of the wall of shoes for shoes that i didn't want to try on in the wrong size and with no apologies for the wait or mistakes they made... they finally said, "is there anything else we can do to help you?"... i said, "ELSE!???? you haven't helped me out at all and i've been here long enough to receive a salary! i'm going to the adidas store!" and i stormed out. the civic center mall is at least nine stories tall, so i got very lost in my heated frustration and overall lack of direction.

6. when i had finally finished, i decided to attempt to find my way out the very large shopping center when out of nowhere, the on-call doctor from the hospital calls me to ask what exactly happened today. i told him the story about the situation, he apologized, and wrote a prescription for the medication immediately. when i go to the pharmacy, i am told that my health insurance didn't go through because it's the end of the day back east and they wont be operating for another few hours.

7. then i got drunk and went home.

im going for a run

No comments: